The name “Mississauga” comes from the Anishinaabe word Misi-zaagiing, meaning “[Those at the] Great River-mouth.”
Mississauga’s roots trace back over 200 years!
In the early 1600’s, French traders met Native peoples called the Mississaugas. The Mississaugas were an Ojibwa tribe and had settled what is now Mississauga.
Between 1805-1820, the British crown bought the majority of the Mississaugas’ land in a series of two treaties.
The first treaty came in 1805 and is known as the “First Purchase” or the “Mississauga Purchase”. With this treaty, the Crown acquired 74,000 acres of land around both sides of the Credit River. This tract of land was surveyed in 1806, named Toronto Township, and opened for settlement. It is known as the “Old Survey”.
The “Second Purchase” came in 1818 which signed over 600,000 acres to the British Crown. The land was surveyed and open of settlement in 1819. This new survey was called the “Second Survey” This area was divided into the townships of Toronto, Chinguacousy, Caledon, Albion and Toronto Gore.
The Town of Mississauga was created in 1968, and the City of Mississauga was incorporated in 1974 through the amalgamation of the Town of Mississauga and the villages of Port Credit and Streetsville, and portions of the townships of Toronto Gore and Trafalgar. Mississauga has grown to be Canada’s sixth largest city.